Therefore, the ancients used to employ these tests to assess people:
- Sending them away to test their loyalty.
- Keeping them close to see their respectfulness.
- Giving them a lot of assignments to test their talents.
- Querying them when they are pressed to measure their intelligence.
- Giving short deadlines to gauge their punctuality.
- Letting them keep money to assess their honesty.
- Forewarning them of dangers to evaluate their steadfastness.
- Making them drunk to observe their manners.
- Making them afflicted to test their composure.
* * * * *
Trust people’s deeds not words.